Project “Back in time” was developed by a group of young people who found their safe haven in Youth centre Trbovlje where they can freely express themselves. They have brainstromed their common poblem, caused by the widespread use of social media applications among their peers. They decided that the main problem is a judgmental attitude and comments on social media posts made by peers, having a big impact on their self-image, self-esteem, also causing less socializing with their peers face to face and not having meaningful conversations with them. The Aim of the project was to shift their attention from social media or online activities to the action in everyday life. They aknowledged that you have to have a personal, one-on-one conversation and contact with a person to get to know them, not just to check their online profile to see the “fake” online identity and that a mobile phone can be an obctruction. Therefore the young used communication chanells, used by previous generations and socialized in person rather than online.
- To aknowledge the importance of personal communication and the non-sense of creating an opinion about a person based on their online “fake” profile.
- To research the communication and social activities of the older generations (when they were young) and compare it to current situation.
- To learn and use different free time activities and communication types used before the digital era. Youngsters spent their free time outside, on the playground, playing different team games.
Activities to achieve goals:
- Beforehand each partner made interviews with older generation representatives (grandparents, great-grandparents) about socializing spending their free time, we made team games and on the exchange went on a visit to a retirement home and made interviews there and played some games with them. Afterwards we made a booklet with a description of this team games of 3 generations of 3 countries.
- Making daily “snaps” wiht polaroid camera and comments on the “snaps” (beforehand: a photography workshop).
- Making their own analog profile (online profile on paper).
- Problem and solution tree on axcessive use of social media applications, the young set their own limits about the use.
- Digital literacy, critical thinking workshop and theatre method workshop.
- Daily reflections and evaluations, Youthpass islands workshop.
- A challenge: use of mobile phones was not recommended.